Finding a Mentor

This is my second semester as part of the STEM-TRAIN program and I wanted to share one of the more impactful events that have occurred during my time.  And it happened unexpectedly.

Each semester there is a 'mixer' at ASU west where STEM-TRAIN students and professors meet.  I was not particularly excited to go, but decided to give it a shot as it is something I would not normally go to.  In some ways the mixer was as I expected, there were somewhat contrived games to try to get people to interact and a fair bit of administrative discussion for resources and information that has been available online for some time.  This is not a complaint, just a recognition of the way in which such meetings often go.

As the event turning out how I feared I was a bit deflated, but engaged in an effort to learn something from those in attendance.  Toward the end of the event I overheard a professor discussing mathematics and programming, two areas of interest that were new to me and I knew little of.  I introduced myself and that was the first time I met Prof. Joel Nishimura.  We had a delightful discussion and made plans to follow up.  

Follow up we did and after a couple of lunch meeting he offered an opportunity to meet regularly during the next semester (spring 2020) to work on a project together.  Though I would have my class load and the STEM-TRAIN project I jumped at the chance.  We are working on a project that I hope will be available for presentation at the end of this semester.

This meeting has impacted me in a variety of ways.  I was unsure as to how pursue, and fully articulate, my interests at the intersections of chemistry, biology, and physics.  I have found a platform in applied mathematics that provides the skill set and tool to build tools and model the interactions that these intersections.  I even switched my major.  Secondly, Joel has been a generous source of insight and inspiration regarding my current academic situation and my future goals of being a research scientist. 

I hope this story provides even a little bit of encouragement for other students to engage with and the professors around you.  They are interested in sharing their work, experience, and knowledge but you have to show a commitment and interest on your side.  There are many benefits that await.

As for a picture, I thought I would share something form my garden that I hope will provide something pleasant in a time of such stress.




Comments

Popular Posts