ASU Visit: Narrowing Research Interests


I had the pleasure of visiting ASU this past weekend for the School of Engineering of Matter, Transportation, and Energy open house.  We had the opportunity to visit a variety of labs and meet students and professors in the department.

I feel quite lucky to have the opportunity to get exposed to such a variety of fields through such events, my internship at TGen, the professors at PC, and textbooks.  I am getting a better handle on what fields are not compelling to me, as well as what questions I am drawn to and which disciplines look to answer those questions.

  • I am drawn to the small (micro and nano scale)
  • My questions are "why" and "what if"
  • I am not interested in creating as much as thinking about  Though creating something might be a consequences of this process it is not the main driver.
  • Basic research of applied application (these are not mutually exclusive)
  • The fundamental questions
The fields that I find more or less to be narrowing in on are fields at the intersection of chemistry, physics, math, and molecular biology:
  • Material Science and Engineering
  • Molecular Sciences
  • Biochemistry
  • Biophysics
  • Geometry
Here are some more pictures from the event:





Comments

Popular Posts