Pseudo-experiment

The back and forth continues, this week I will talk about the ASCEND project.  The second part of the project, other than the atmospheric profiling, is a biological experiment.  I will be sending up a samples of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.  The experiment is a proof of concept for a 3D printed modular biological retaining device that can make such future experiments easy.  

The experiment itself will be testing the effects of atmospheric conditions and UV on Pseudomonas aeruginosa.  There will be one sample that is live and another dead that will be transported ~90,000 ft into the stratosphere, upon retrieval I will perform DNA extraction and electrophoresis to determine the possible effects of UV radiation (all with appropriate controls on the ground).

I forgot about spring break and in will prevent me from getting in the lab as much as I would like, but I should have the time to make it all work.

Supplies needed

Green cap is the Pseudomonas aeruginosa with a PIA plate and broth (yellow caps)

Inoculated mediums in the incubator.


See them again after spring break.

 

Comments

Popular Posts